2022 Idaho State DOT Shipping Laws, Rules, Regulations, and Limitations for Oversize and Heavy-haul Trucking Permits | Pilot Car Requirements
Please share your knowledge of Idaho regulations with others below.
Idaho Oversize Permits, Heavy-haul Trucking Companies, and Pilot Cars
Locate oversize, heavy-haul trucking companies and pilot cars:
Do I Need a Trucking Permit? Legal Load Limits in Idaho
Idaho maximum load limit until a trucking permit is required:
- Length: A 75’ length is the legal limit for any combined truck and trailer in transport.
- Width: A maximum of 8’ 6” wide.
- Height: A maximum of 14’
- Weight: A maximum of 80,000 lbs. total (GVW) with no more than 14,000 lbs. on the steer axle and 20,000 lbs. on any other single axle.
- Overhang: 4’ in front of the trailer and no more than 10’ from the rear axle of the trailer to the end of the load.
Routine Oversize and Heavy Haul Trucking Permits in Idaho
These maximum dimensions/weights are considered routine oversize or heavy-haul trucking permits in Idaho:
- Length: 110’ on 2-lane roads and 115’ on 4-lane roads.
- Weight: 5 axles 112,000 6 axles 118,000
- Width: 16’
- Height: 14’6”
When Pilot Cars or Escort Vehicles Are Required in Idaho
Heavy-haul or oversize loads may be required to be accompanied by an escort vehicle or pilot car if:
- Length: Over 100’ 2 Lanes require 1 car. Over 115’ Interstate requires 1 car.
- Width: Over 12’1” 2 Lanes require 1 car., Over 15’1” 4 Lanes require 1 car.
- Height: Over 16’ requires 1 car.
Legal Travel Times for Oversize and Heavy Haul Loads in Idaho
Travel times and restrictions for heavy-haul and oversize loads in Idaho:
Travel permitted from ½ hour before sunrise to ½ hour after sunset. If 10’ wide or less, travel is permitted 24/7.
Idaho DOT Contact Information and Notes
Idaho DOT office and permit contact information:
How to apply for trucking permits:
Idaho Transportation Department
3311 W State St
800-662-7133 Phone within Idaho
The basic fee is $13.00
The permit is valid for 5 days
Idaho State Trucking information website: http://itd.idaho.gov/dmv
Port of Entry Information.
Hollister: 21 miles south of Twin Falls 208-3322-7844.
East Boise: 11 miles east of Boise 208-334-3272.
Marsing: 6 miles south of US 55/US 95 208-896-4814.
Lewiston: 1 mile east of Lewiston 208-799-4824.
Huetter: 2 miles east of Coer d’Alene 208-769-1551.
Bonner’s Ferry: (Moyle Jct.) Jct. of US 95 & US 2 208-267-2486.
Haugan: 15 miles east of state line 406-678-4257.
Sage Junction: 2 miles north of Roberts 208-228-3636.
Inkom: 8 miles south of Pocatello 208-775-3322.
Cottrell: 8 miles south of Twin Falls 208-349-5650.
Ports of entry references.
The information contained in these pages is research information primarily for use by oversize and overweight trucking company drivers, dispatchers, and pilot car companies. While every effort is put into maintaining the accuracy of this information you must absolutely verify this information with the Idaho State DOT Permits office before commencing movement.