2023 Louisiana Oversize and Overweight Trucking Regulations, Permits, Limitations, Rules, and Laws | Pilot Cars
Oversize Legal Loads Limit in Louisiana
The following are the legal dimensions and weight load limits in Lousiana
- Length: 65’ on non-designated routes (50’ trailer) 59’ 6” on designated truck routes.
- Overhang: 8’ rear and 4’ front.
- Weight: GVW 80,000 lbs.
- Width: 8’ on non-designated roads. 8’ 6” on designated roads.
- Height: 13’6”
Routine Oversize and Overweight Shipping, Trucking, and Transport Permits in Louisiana
The following are the legal dimensions and weight load limits for shipping permits in Lousiana
- Length: No set limits – determined on a case by case basis
- Weight: 5 Axles 108,000 lbs., 6 Axles 120,000 lbs., 7 Axles: 132,000 lbs., 8 Axles 152,000 lbs.
- Width: 18’ (14’ on interstates)
- Height: 14’8”
How to Apply for Trucking Permits in Lousiana
You will be required to use a permit service as the state will not take applications from individuals. Information at 225-343-2345 or 800-654-1433. The basic Fee is $10 per day plus the cost of the permit service.
Pilot Car/Escort Car Requirements in Lousiana
- Length: On 4-lane roads from 12’ to 14’ wide requires 1 rear escort car. Over 90’ requires 1 rear escort car. Over 125’ requires state police escort.
- Width: 12’ to 14’ requires 1 front escort car
- Height: No specific height – depends on the route.
Oversize Load Travel Restrictions in Louisiana
Travel is permitted from ½ hour after sunrise to ½ hour before sunset, Monday through Saturday. If less than 12’ wide, 90’ long, and 100,000 lbs., you may travel Sunday until 1:00 pm.
The information contained in these pages is research information primarily for use by oversize and overweight trucking company drivers, dispatchers, and pilot car companies. While every effort is put into maintaining the accuracy of this information, you must verify this information with the Louisiana DOT Permits office before commencing movement.
MORE USEFUL RESOURCES