2022 Delaware State Shipping Laws, Regulations, Rules, and Limitations for Oversize and Heavy-haul Trucking
Delaware Oversize Trucking
Legal Loads Limits in Delaware
The following are the load limit sin Delaware before you require a permit.
- Length: 60’ (53’ trailer)
- Overhang: 3’ front; 6’ rear (included in legal allowable length)
- Weight: GVW 80,000 lbs., or 20,000 lbs. per axle.
Routine Trucking Permits in Delaware
The following are the maximum weight and dimensions for permits in Delaware.
- Length: 100’
- Overhang: over 5’ must be permitted
- Weight: GVW 120,000
- Width: 14’
- Height: 15’
How to Apply for Oversize and Heavy-haul Trucking Permits in Delaware
Delaware Department of Transportation
DMV DELDOT Hauling Permits Section
PO Drawer E, Room 208
Dover, DE 19903
NOTE: A basic oversize permit is valid for 5 days and costs $10
Pilot/Escort Car Requirements in Delaware
- Width over 12’ requires 1 escort car, over 14’ requires 2 escort cars, and over 15’ requires State Police escort.
- Length over 100’ requires 1 car, over 110’ requires 2 cars, and over 120’ requires State Police escort.
- Height: None unless specified on the permit after obtained.
Travel Times and Restrictions in Delaware
Travel is permitted from sunrise to sunset, with no weekend travel permitted. Travel is also prohibited on the following holidays:
- New Year’s Day,
- Martin Luther King Day
- Presidents Day
- Good Friday
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Election Day
- Columbus Day
- Veterans Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day.
On days preceding a holiday, day movement must stop at noon. Movement may continue the day following the holiday afternoon. Refer to your oversize or heavy-haul trucking permit for any other instructions.
The information contained in these pages is research information primarily for use by oversize and overweight trucking company drivers, dispatchers, and pilot car companies. While every effort is put into maintaining the accuracy of this information, you must verify this information with the Delaware State DOT Permits office before commencing movement.