2022 Iowa State Shipping Regulations, Limitations, Rules, and Laws
Legal Loads Limit in Iowa
The following are the legal weight and dimensions limits in Iowa.
- Length: 53’ trailer
- Weight: GVW = 80,000 lbs. Steer 20,000 lbs.
- Width: 8’ 6”
- Height: 13’ 6”
Routine Oversize Shipping, Trucking, and Transport Permits in Iowa
The following are the maximum legal weights and dimensions before a load requires transport permits in Iowa.
- Length: 120’
- Weight: 5 axles 92,000 lbs., 6 axles., 7 axles 132,000 lbs.,
- Width: 18’
- Height: 16’
How to Apply for Trucking Permits in Iowa
Permits are valid for 5 days. Single trip oversize trucking permit costs $10. Iowa State Trucking information site.
Pilot /Escort Car Requirements in Iowa
- Length: 80’ to 100’ must have revolving lights. Over 120’ requires 1 rear pilot/escort vehicle. 10’ overhang requires flashing lights.
- Weight: Over 80,000 lbs. GVW requires amber lights.
- Width: On Primary Road Over 12’ 1 front pilot car escort vehicle is required. On 2 lanes over 14’ one rear pilot car escort vehicle is required. On 4 lanes over 14’6” one rear pilot car escort vehicle is required. On Interstate over 16’6,” one pilot car escort vehicle or lighting is required.
- Height: Over 14’4” requires 1 front pilot car escort vehicle with a height pole.
Travel Restrictions in Iowa
Travel is permitted from ½ hour before sunrise to ½ hour after sunset 7 days per week (see holiday and event traffic below). Trucks can travel 24/7 if the shipment is less than 11’ wide, 100’ long, and 14’4” wide.
Holidays and Event Traffic in Iowa
Iowa code specifically states the designated restricted movement holidays are Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor Day. No movement will be allowed on these holidays or afternoons on days preceding these holidays and holiday weekends that include holidays falling on Monday, except as provided for in Iowa Code 321.457.
Note: If you are not in excess of the following weights/dimensions continuous travel may be permitted.
- Width: 11′.
- Height: 14′ 6′
- Length: 100′
- Weight: Under legal limits.
Always refer to your permit first before movement. If you are not specifically clear on the complete instructions contact the Iowa DOT by phone: 515-237-3264.
The information contained in these pages is research information primarily for use by oversize and overweight trucking company drivers, dispatchers, and pilot car companies. While every effort is put into maintaining the accuracy of this information, you must verify this information with the Iowa State DOT Permits office before commencing movement.