2022 North Carolina State DOT Shipping Regulations, Limitations, Rules, and Laws for the Trucking of Oversize and Over Weight Loads Over the Roads and Highways
Share your knowledge with others below.!
Legal Loads Limits in North Carolina
The following are the legal weight and dimensions limits in North Carolina.
- Length: 60’
- Weight: 80,000 lbs. GVW, Single axle 20,000 lbs., Tandem axle 38,000 lbs.
- Width: 102”
- Height: 13’ 6”
Routine Heavy Haul, Oversize Shipping, Trucking, and Transport Permits in North Carolina
- Length: 110’ with no max on lengths upon permit approval.
- Weight: Over 80,000 lbs. but under 110,000 lbs. 12,000 lbs. max on steer, Single 25,000 lbs., 50,000 lbs. max on Tandem, 60,000 lbs. max on a Tridem axle.
- Width: 15’
- Height: 14’ however permissible height is determined by the route.
How to Apply for Heavy Haul, Wide Load, and Oversize Trucking Permits in North Carolina
North Carolina Oversize, Overweight Permit Unit DOT
1425 Rock Quarry Rd., Suite 109
Raleigh, NC 27610
NC DOT Permit phone: 919-733-4740 or 888-221-8166
Hours of operation are 7:30 am until 4 pm., Monday through Friday
Pilot Car/Escort Vehicle Requirements in North Carolina
- Length: Over 110’ on escort vehicle in the rear.
- Width: 2 lanes over 12’ one escort vehicle in front. 4 lanes one escort in the rear. Over 14’ requires one escort vehicle in front and one escort vehicle in the rear.
- Height: Over 14’ 6 requires a high pole escort.
NOTE: Permits are valid for 10 days.
Travel Restrictions in North Carolina
Travel is permitted from sunrise to sunset Monday through Saturday with no travel allowed on Sunday. Continuous travel is permitted if heavy only and under 112,000 lbs. GVW.
MORE USEFUL RESOURCES
The information contained in these pages is research information primarily for use by oversize and overweight trucking company drivers, dispatchers, and pilot car companies. While every effort is put into maintaining the accuracy of this information you must absolutely verify this information with the North Carolina State DOT Permits office before commencing movement.