Shipping Quote in Sub Header

2023 Oregon Oversize Load Shipping Regulations
Wide Load Shipping

Shipping Quote Minified

2023 Oregon Trucking Laws, Regulations, Permits, and Limitations for Overweight and Oversize Loads | Pilot Car Requirements

Support visitors like yourself by sharing information at the bottom of this page.

Maximum Legal Load Limits Without Requiring a Permit in Oregon

Maximum legal limits. Standard Metric
Length: Determined by trailer length: 53 feet max. 16.1 meters maximum trailer length.
Width: 8 feet, 6 inches. 2.6 meters.
Height: 14 feet. 4.2 meters.
Weight: 80,000 pounds. 36,287 kilograms.
Overhang: 5 feet from the rear and 4 feet from the front. 1.5 meters from the rear and 1.2 meters from the front.
NOTE: Some roads require a permit for a 53 feet trailer. Overhangs must be day flagged or night illuminated.

Oversize Legal Load Limits in Oregon

  • Length: Oregon specifically states the maximum trailer size of 53 feet. However, some routes do not legally permit 53 feet trailers to move on them without a permit. Additionally, some roads are listed with no length limits. Therefore, if you are over 65 feet, you should contact ODOT (number below) before movement to discuss your intended route.
  • Width: 8′ 6″
  • Height: The maximum height allowed is 14′. Anything over is required to have a permit to move.
  • Weight: Over 80,000 lbs GVW or 20,000 lbs per single axle or 34,000 lbs on tandem axles. Tridem depends on axle spacings.
  • Overhang: 4′ in the front and 5′ off the rear. Anything in excess is required to be permitted. Overhang must be flagged during daylight hours and illuminated during night hours.

Routinely Issued Oversize & Overweight Permits in Oregon

Oversize and overweight transport/trucking permits are routinely issued by ODOT.

Maximum routine permit limits Standard Metric
Length: 80 feet overall depending on routing. 24.3 meters.
Width: 15 feet. 4.5 meters.
Height: 17 feet. 5.1 meters.
Weight: 98,000-105,000 lbs depending on the route. 44,452 kilograms.
Overhang: No set limit. Depends on the route.
NOTES: Overhang can not exceed more than 1/3 of the total combined wheelbase length: first front to last rear axle.
  • Length: It’s all about routing. Some routes are listed as unlimited lengths, and others are 80 feet maximum.
  • Width: 15′ is routinely issued. Some routes would declare over 15 feet wide a superload.
  • Height: Up to 17 feet tall are routinely issued.
  • Weight: Generally up to 105,000 lbs depending on route, axle configuration, and tire size. Maximums are 600 pounds per inch of tire width, 21,500 lbs per axle, and 43,000 lbs per tandem. Axle groups depend on spacings.
  • Overhang: No set limitations. It’s done on a case-by-case basis, depending on the route.


NOTE: Dozer blades that are over-width must be removed and are allowed to be hauled with the dozer on the same trailer even if the blade makes the shipment overweight. Ensure you tell the ODOT permits office that you are shipping a dozer so they document it on your permit. For annual permits that are over-length and over-weight, 48′ trailers are permitted to travel on some length restricted highways. Highway 395 from Pendleton, OR to John Day, OR is a good example as well as highway 25, which spans the entire state, will allow some divisible loads that exceed 80,000 pounds. These permits can be obtained from the Port of Entry or the Oregon DMV for $8. Simply contact them at any of the offices listed below. If you are shipping anything overweight or oversize in Oregon, you want to refer to the Oregon State-issued guide for more detailed information. That’s a must-read if transporting items through the state off of I-5.

Boat Shipping, Boom, Masts, Cranes, Shovels, and Drilling Equipment Restrictions in Oregon

Transporting booms, masts, cranes, shovels, or drilling equipment is permitted provided no less than ⅔ of the length is fully supported with no more than ⅓ of overhang from the rear of any trailer. Any protrusions from the trailer must be secured to prevent bending or movement. Front projections that may extend further than the front axle must not restrict the truck driver’s vision.

Oregon Superload Information

Shipments in excess of the following weights/dimensions are classified as superloads in Oregon.

Superload size/weight classification Standard Metric
Length: 150+ feet. 45.7+ meters.
Width: 14 feet on 2 lane – 16+ feet on Interstate. 4.2+ and 4.8+ meters.
Height: 17+ feet. 5.1+ meters.
Weight: Over 105,000 lbs on some routes. 47,627+ kilograms.
Overhang: 4+ feet. 1.21+ meters.
NOTE: Superloads have finely detailed instructions clearly printed on the official permit. Any discrepancies should be discussed with the issuing ODOT superload permit office official prior to commencing movement/transport.

In-depth Oregon Superload Information

  • Length: Loads over 150 feet in overall length are considered superloads.
  • Width: Loads over 16′ wide on the Interstate (I-5) and (I-84) or over 14′ wide on 2-lane highways. If over 16′ wide you must obtain approval from the districts it is traveling through.
  • Height: Any load in excess of 17′ tall is considered a superload.

NOTE: Superloads will take extra time to process permits so plan on it.

Permitted Oversize Load Travel Times & Restrictions in Oregon

Oregon permitted travel times and restrictions for heavy-haul and oversize loads:

Travel is permitted 1/2 hour after sunrise and 1/2 hour before sunset Monday through Friday and until noon on Saturdays. Continuous travel is permitted if you are heavy only and should be noted on the permit. Travel prohibited on New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor Day, from noon on Wednesday before Thanksgiving Day to 1/2 hour before sunrise on the following Monday & from 12:01 pm on Christmas eve until 1/2 hour before sunrise on the 1st business day following Christmas.

Shipments That Require a Pilot Car or Escort Vehicle in Oregon

If your dimensions/weight is over any of the following you will be required to have a pilot car/escort.

On Interstate, many 2 lane highways in districts closer to Portland:

  • Length: Over 120′ – 1 escort, over 140′ – as required on the permit
  • Width: Over 14′ – 1 escort, over 16′ – as required on the permit
  • Height: Over 14’6” – 1 escort

On GREEN routes:

  • Length: Over 105′ – 1 pilot car/ truck escort, over 120′ – 2 pilot car/truck escorts, and over 140′ are on a case-by-case basis.
  • Width: Over 12′ – 1 escort, over 14′ – 2 escorts, over 16′ – as required on the permit.
  • Height: Over 14’6” – 1 pilot car/truck escort.
  • Length: Over 105′ – 1 pilot car/ truck escort, over 120′ – 2 pilot car/truck escorts, and over 140′ are on a case-by-case basis.

Most other 2 lane routes:

  • Width: Over 9′ – 1 pilot car/truck escort.
  • Height: Over 14’6” – 1 escort
  • Length: Over 95′ – 1 escort, over 120′ – 2 escorts, and over 140′ are on a case-by-case basis.

NOTE: There are other places in Oregon that may require pilot cars/truck escorts so be sure to check with ODOT first before committing to transport anything within this state.

Pilot Car and Escort Vehicle Certifications and Requirements in Oregon

Oregon pilot car operator requirements and certifications.

Oregon does not require a person to be certified to operate a pilot car. However, you must obtain a flaggers license if you intend to control traffic. ODOT has an authorized flagger certification class at Chemeketa Community College. The class lasts about 4 hours. 

Passenger car, pickups, or truck tractor of legal size & weight with a 5’x10″  “OVERSIZE LOAD” sign with black letters (8″ high x 1″ minimum thickness) on a yellow background mounted on top of the vehicle. Two amber strobing or flashing lights widely spaced with a minimum of 4″ diameter lens. They should have a minimum of 35 candlepower rating with about 30 rotations per minute or a revolving light with a minimum of 125 square inches of dome surface with at least 30 rotations per minute. It must be visible from 360 degrees and mounted above the vehicle roof. A minimum distance of visibility is 500′. In addition, CB or two-way radio, two handheld red flags (a minimum of 18″ square) mounted on 3′ minimum staffs, eight safety flares, and at least 2 reflective triangles. You can learn more about the pilot car and escort requirements on the ODOT website.

NOTE: In our professional opinion, all pilot cars and escort vehicle operators should also have two 5-pound fire extinguishers type A, B, and C, 3 reflective emergency road triangles, or 18″ traffic cones, 8 burning road flares, 2 OVERSIZE LOAD banners (yellow with black lettering) and a hard hat.

Shipment, Truck and Trailer Flags, Lights, and Markings in Oregon

Warning Signs: Vehicle(s) transporting a load that exceeds 8 feet 6 inches in width or 80 feet in length are required to display standard signs bearing the words “OVERSIZE LOAD” *. The signs must be displayed at the front and rear of one vehicle or a combination of vehicles.

*Warning signs for vehicles or loads that exceed 8 feet 6 inches in width and are 80 feet or less in overall length, including load, may bear the words “WIDE LOAD.” Signs for vehicles or loads that do not exceed 8 feet 6 inches in width may bear the words “LONG LOAD” when the overall length, including load, exceeds 80 feet. In addition, signs must meet the standards described in OAR Chapter 734 Division 82.

 Signs must be 7 feet wide by 18 inches high with black letters 10 inches high in accordance with Federal Highway Administration series C on a highway yellow background.
 The highway yellow background of the sign shall be made of reflectorized material when operating between one half-hour after sunset and one-half hour before sunrise.
 When three front pilot vehicles are required by a permit, additional signs that bear the legend “REDUCE SPEED” and “MOVE RIGHT” may be required. These signs shall be at least five feet wide by ten inches high; have black letters eight inches high with one-inch brush stroke in accordance with Federal Highway Administration series B, on highway yellow background.
 Signs must be kept in good repair, free from dirt, grease, and road film, and be clearly readable to other drivers. The signs shall not cover or interfere with the visibility of the registration plate. To meet this requirement, plates may be mounted to cover a portion of the sign’s background, as long as the sign’s legend remains readable.
 If the placement of the signs described above on a self-propelled mobile crane obscures the vehicle’s headlights, turn signals, license plates, brake lights, or taillights, the requirements may be met if the vehicle’s front and rear bumpers are constructed or painted with a highway yellow background and the words “OVERSIZE LOAD” are painted, or applied by decal, on the bumper. Visibility of the sign may not be obscured by any other part of the vehicle, including but not limited to an auxiliary axle or jeep axle. All other sign requirements above apply.
Resource credit.

Notes and Additional Information

Before approval of a superload permit, a route survey may be required by the regional electrical crews in one or more of Oregon’s five regions. An over-dimension permit analyst will check the routes for physical structures and overpasses. This route check DOES NOT include:

  • Signal lines.
  • Utility lines.
  • Traffic signals.
  • Other obstacles the load may encounter.

What the route server will include:

  • A list with locations of low obstacles along a route.
    – Specific locations of obstacles.
    – A plan for navigating around obstacles if possible.
  • The date a route survey was performed.

Driver Requirements for Superloads Transport in Oregon.

  • Have a minimum of three years of experience driving commercial vehicle combinations; one of these years must be driving/hauling oversize loads.
  • Not having a conviction of more than one moving violation while operating commercial motor vehicles in any state, country, or province within the last year.
  • Not have more than one preventable, recordable accident involving a commercial motor vehicle in any state, country, or province within the last two years.
  • Not have a suspension or revocation of driving privileges from the operation of a commercial motor vehicle in any state, country, or province during the past three years.
  • Not having a conviction of DUII while operating a commercial motor vehicle in any state, country, or province within the last five years.

Oregon DOT (ODOT) Locations and Contact Information

Oregon ODOT contact information and other helpful links.

Oregon Motor Carrier Transportation Division – Over-Dimensional Permit Unit.
Dept. of Transportation Permits Office
Motor Carrier Transport OS/OD Permit Unit
550 Capitol Street, NE
Salem, OR   97301
Telephone: 503-373-0000
Trip Permits: (503) 378-6699
Fuel Permits: (503) 373-1634
Hours: 7 am – 5 pm Monday – Friday (Wed. closed from 12-1 pm). PACIFIC DAYLIGHT TIME.

NOTE: When applying in Oregon for overweight permits you should know they have a strict bridge formula which may delay permit issuance depending on the route. Also, some counties require permits for travel as well so be sure to ask. Permits are valid for 10 days only.


Oregon Road Closures

ODOT oversize information website.
Oregon road closures and conditions.


5 Responses

  1. Thanks for saying that loads that are over 150 in length are considered superloads by the state. I’m guessing that these types of loads will need overweight permits if they are going to be transported by commercial trucks. My brother wants to become a trucker someday, so I’m helping him orient himself with the laws that are needed for a trucking business, so he may find this information useful.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *